Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Exercises

Now that I've been here for a good while (about a year...yikes!) I've found myself starting to wonder what stuff is totally unique to Taiwan, and what stuff occurs in the US as well. The line's becoming fuzzy, and I catch myself thinking, "Wait, do they do this back home too and I just don't remember, or am I witnessing something seriously weird here?"

Example: The Exercises.

There's a big cultural difference in health and fitness here, one of them being these peculiar exercises people do. These are most often seen in a park or other outdoor area; sometimes on a busy sidewalk. I remember people in the US stretching in public or maybe raising their arms a bit to squeeze in as many health benefits as possible into a morning jog or brisk walk. Here though, they go all out. Aside from the Tai Chi seen quite frequently, you also will see people rhythmically slapping themselves on the arm, under the chin, or right on the butt. I've seen people do it standing still or walking. Self-slapping is huge here. They slap their bellies, legs, and back (like they're giving themselves a pat on the back...it's nice). I saw some partner slapping the other day as I was jogging through Chiang Kai-Shek memorial hall. A woman was standing with her arms out like a T, and a man was standing behind her, patting her on the hips. It reminded me of one of those 1950's fat shaking machines. Oh and probably the best one of all in the slapping category is tree-slapping. It's exactly what it sounds like. Somebody standing there, slapping the trunk of a tree. I don't know if it's supposed to be good for the person or for the tree. Maybe it's mutually beneficial.
In addition to the slapping, there's also a variety of circling and flailings. I've seen some people, while walking very fast, instead of bringing their arms in in a jogging/speed walking position, just throw them out straight in front and behind, as high and flail-y as possible. John told me about a woman he saw on the sidewalk with her arms straight out to the sides, making small flapping movements like a bird. He said he tried it to see what it was like.
I know people like to jog in place at a red light to keep the momentum up, but a couple months back as I was waiting to cross the street, I noticed a woman next to me...I'm not sure how to put it any better...just flailing. Her whole body, flailing. Legs were kicking out in all directions. Arms moving nonsensically in huge motions, every which way. And in case you're wondering, she didn't yo wen ti (have problems) she was just exercising.
There are so many more; I love when people jog backwards. What does that do? I've wanted to get pictures, but I'm always too nervous to do it. When I ask Taiwanese people about these exercises, they either look at me like I'm crazy and the only one seeing them, or they simply say, "for health" like how could I not know that slapping oneself on the shoulder is healthy, duh!

Hope everyone's good at home. Oh yeah, we're going on our contract break vacation this week for two weeks. We're flying into Bangkok first and staying there for a few days, then we're meeting some friends and are going to travel through Cambodia with them for about a week. After that we're heading to Vietnam and will fly out of Ho Chi Minh back to Taipei. We're so excited! Will definitely be posting pics to Flickr right when we return!
Love you all,
Melanie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
That sounds hysterical! How do you not keep from laughing when you see that???? :-)

Hope you guys have a great vacation!!!

Love you much,
Aunt Katina

Anonymous said...

John and Melanie,
Oh my gosh. I'm laughing out loud at work... You are a marvelous writer and great story teller. I can't wait to hear these stories in person when you and John get back. Joe and I miss you two and you all be sure to stop by if you ever come home for a visit.
Boy, I've been missing out not reading your blog. I'll be better about it now.
I guess you have heard that James landed his first broadcasting job in Havre, MT. Yes, it's pronounced like "have her",Montana. Like you can have her! He will be on air from 5PM to 12PM daily. They are excited and will be moving Febr 5 or so. Becca is looking for a teaching job there. The principal of the local high school already called her so hopefully she will have no problem landing a job. I will miss them terribly but they are closer than an ocean away, only 12 hours to Havre.
Robby plans to transfer to CU in the fall. He is in a band and still waiting tables at On the Border Resturant.
Andrea is working in Sarasota, FL at Michaels Crafts as a senior framer. She and her boyfriend have a 100 pound Doberman.
Well your caught up with the Gomez's.
Keep the stories coming. What a journal you have.
All the love, stay safe.
Nancy or Ms. Gomez